25 Rare Facts About Adele You Didn't Know
Think you're the ultimate Adele fan? We all know and LOVE Adele but we wonder if you know these 25 rare facts about the songstress? Let's put it to the test!
1. Following her recent wins at the Grammy Awards, Adele now has 15 Grammys (out of 18 nominations) under her belt. She also holds 3 Guinness World Records for being the first female ever to have two singles and two albums simultaneously in the UK Top 5, the first female solo artist to have a number one spot in the UK charts for the most consecutive weeks (11!!) with her album ‘21’ and last but not least, the most cumulative weeks (18!!!) in the UK for a solo female artist at number one. All of this before she's 30, crikey.
2. Adele's acceptance speech at the Grammys had us (and Beyoncé) in tears. Aside from both being incredible artists, Adele has another thing in common with Beyoncé. Her full name is Adele Laurie Blue Adkins. Blue (Ivy) is also the name of Beyonce's eldest daughter.
3. Ex-Prime Minister Gordon Brown was also a fan and once sent Adele a note calling her a 'light at the end of the tunnel' and thanked her for keeping Brits' spirits up during the economic crisis.
4. For her 27th birthday, Adele dressed up as George Michael, took a few pictures as him in the photobooth then tweeted, "I was my hero". What a legend.
5. Turns out we aren't the only ones to get stage fright. Adele doesn't usually eat before a performance as she gets very nervous before going on stage. She worries that eating beforehand would result in the food coming back up during the performance!
6. Her alter-ego "Sasha Carter" was inspired by Beyoncé's "Sasha Fierce" and June Carter Cash. She was created to help Adele combat nerves when performing.
7. Adele's also scared of flying and is convinced that every plane trip will be her last whenever she travels.
8. Adele's comeback single “Hello” was the first song ever in the US to sell over one million digital copies within a week of its release.
9. Amy Winehouse is frequently credited as inspiring Adele to pursue a musical career. Shortly after listening to Winehouse's debut album, Frank, Adele picked up her guitar and immediately started her songwriting. As a result, Daydreamer, Hometown and Someone Like You were all written.
10. To keep her son away from media attention, Adele kept his name a secret for 94 days. She finally revealed it as Angelo on a necklace she wore.
11. She loves a cuppa like the rest of us Brits! She used to have two sugars in her tea until she decided to omit the sweetener for weight loss.
12. Adele feels the most creative after a few tipples. We reckon it's after a few Phil (Raspberry) Collins cocktails at Lucky Voice...
13. Adele's big break in the US came from an SNL episode where her performance coincided with Sarah Palin's. She frequently credits Palin with boosting her music career. Palin later sent her a thank you note and said she cried when she heard 'Hello' on the radio.
14. It was reported that the music video for "Hello" was viewed on YouTube an average of one million views an HOUR on the first day of its release (28 October). The record later went on to become the fastest video to hit a billion views on the platform after only 88 days!
15. She used to live next door to Shingai Shoniwa, the vocalist from The Noisettes. Listening to her perform through her bedroom walls gave Adele extra encouragement to pursue her music career as both a songwriter and singer.
16. Adele cancelled her Northern American tour in 2011 due to complications with a a vocal cord haemorrhage.
17. She once appeared in an episode of Ugly Betty playing herself. Betty completely fangirled over Adele - and had the same response that we probably would have too if we met her.
18. She has a pet Dachshund named Louis Armstrong!
19. Ever noticed the slight country twang in her album, 21? Adele told Spin Magazine that this was inspired by the bus driver who always played contemporary Nashville music while she was on tour in America.
20. Adele supports her home team, Tottenham Hotspur.
21. She features as the background vocals to Jack Penate's song, 'My Yvonne'. She also met producer Jim Abbiss through this collaboration - Abbiss went on to produce the majority of her albums 19 and 21.
22. She graduated from the BRIT school in 2006 with fellow classmates, Jessie J and Leona Lewis. Amy Winehouse was also in the year above her.
23. Adele used to smoke an average of 25 cigarettes a day. The fear of dying from contracting a smoking-related illness was enough to make her quit. She said, "If I’d carried on smoking I’d probably have died from a smoking-related illness and I think that’s really bad. If I was dying from lung cancer I would have potentially given it to myself and that wouldn’t be something I’d be proud of."
24. Adele released her first unofficial tracks on the old school social media platform, MySpace. Her friend posted a demo of the singer's projects from school which was later discovered by her soon-to-be recording label.
25. Adele's voice isn't her only musical talent. She can also play the piano, guitar, bass guitar and clarinet.
Share this post: