Fun Karaoke Facts That You Didn’t Know
Everyone is familiar with the thrill and buzz of karaoke, whether it’s on a night out and you’re up on stage singing your heart out to a crowd or in your back gardenwith your closest friends belting out heartbreak anthems.
But do you think you know your stuff about all things karaoke? Check out these fascinating facts, as some will blow your mind.
10 Karaoke Facts
- The Top 5 karaoke songs performed are Billie Jean by Michael Jackson, Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Summer Nights by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta, and Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond.
- There are numerous health benefits to karaoke. Studies have shown that it’s an excellent stress-reliever and mood booster. It can lower your blood pressure and boost your endorphin levels massively.
- Karaoke was originally founded in Japan. The word karaoke itself is a Japanese word, in which ‘kara’ means empty and ‘oke’ means olestra (which is orchestra).
- The world record for the longest karaoke marathon by one person lasted 101 hours, 59 minutes, and 11 seconds.
- The largest-ever karaoke session in the world took place in Tennessee, USA, and held approximately 160,000 people.
- In the U.S., the fourth week of April is known as National Karaoke Week!
- In China, there are over 100,000 karaoke bars.
- In the Philippines, Frank Sinatra’s hit song ‘My Way’ is banned from being performed in karaoke bars across the country. This is because the lyrics are considered to be arrogant and pretentious, and have even led to people being attacked for simply performing the song.
- The first karaoke machine was invented in 1971 by a Japanese musician called Daisuke Inoue. He even won an Ig Nobel Prize for this in 2004!
- The Karaoke World Championship is the biggest and most prestigious karaoke competition in the world, and you can take part in it! It first began in Finland in 2003, and it is now an international event in which many countries around the world participate.
So, the next time you’re singing with your pals, you’ll have plenty of karaoke facts to interest and amaze.
Share this post: